Monday, October 18, 2010

My Picks # 43: Roman Chechmanek

It's been almost a month since I've done one of these, so here we go. This pick is a pretty sweet looking goalie-themed insert from 2001-02 Pacific. It's a Roman Chechmanek Project: Steel Curtain.

I love the blue background on these cards, especially on this one as it makes for a great combination with the Flyer orange. There are some great combinations of patterns and other elements that set this set apart from other goalie-themed insert sets. 

The entire right side of the card is just downright cool, although some may not agree. I like it and it's something not really seen before. I like the use of the team color for the background and fill effect as it fits well with the nicely placed team logo in the black circle. 

Another cool thing is I believe they took the full color image on the left side and used it as the outline for the wire-frame style image on the right side, rather than just some generic goalie pose. I'd have to find another card from this set to confirm that though. 

I think the only thing I could do without would have to be the little sets of arrows pointing inward on the right side. I think just the grid pattern behind the semi-filled wire-frame would have sufficed. 

It's cool sets like these that make me miss the days when Pacific was still the licensed hockey card market. They definitely had some great looking designs back in the day and this was just one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment