Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Picks # 47: Andrei Trefilov

Here's a card that would fall into the oddities category. Nothing too special about this one, just a plain old base card from 1996-97 Upper Deck. What caught my eye though was Trefilov's pad, take a look. See anything a little different on there?


Putting the team logo on a goalie mask is a given, but right on the front of the leg pads? Now that's interesting. In all my years of collecting and watching hockey on TV, I can't say I've ever seen that before. 

What's even more interesting is the other pad that is barely visible behind the border of the card. It has the same logo as the other pad, but facing the opposite direction. I guess you'd have to do that simply for aesthetics, otherwise it would look kind of weird. 

As far as the design of the card itself, it's not all that bad. It's simple and leaves plenty of room for the photo. Gotta love sets from the 90's, when base designs actually mattered. 

2 comments:

  1. That is a great set. Quality photos (and some god ugly jerseys!), solid player selection. Good, simple design.

    One of my favorite sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I can remember any goalie who had team logo on his pads.

    I browsed my cards and found Martin Brodeur with pads that had a design with a shape reminiscent of the "devil tail", but that's as closest as I got. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete