Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Captured on Cardboard #4: Joe Thornton

As much as I despise Joe Thornton and the Sharks, I had to make this card the next one in my Captured on Cardboard series. I pulled this one from a rack pack of 2010-11 UD Series 1 and knew right away when the photo on the card was taken. First, here's the card:


The first indicator for me was the background of the photo, as I can just tell that it is Joe Louis Arena. Second, I distinctly remember the 2-on-1 with Thornton and Marleau that ended Game 3 of the 2010 Western Conference Semifinals. Here's the video: 


The photo on the card was taken at about the 5 second mark of the video. There's another good look at about the 13 second mark.

I chose this one because it's just another base card, like the Johan Franzen from the first post in this series, that happens to feature a specific highlight. These are harder to come across because most cards just have pictures of the players skating around.

They also beat any of the game dated cards because those ones are supposed to have this kind of moment on them, while these plain old base cards just happen to.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a great looking card to begin with. It caught my eye as well when I saw it. But to know the moment from when the photo was taken - now that's impressive.

    Unfortunately it's from a moment you'd prefer to forget.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool site man.

    I got a solid collection of cards under my parents bed,haha

    ReplyDelete