Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thoughts: ITG Masked Men Redemption Program

I was browsing the hockey card talk forum over at SCF the other day and came across a thread regarding ITG's redemption program for the misprinted 1/1 Emerald Masked Men III inserts.

Before I give you my take, here's the basics of the redemption program:

Redemption Program 1: Send in 17 Emerald Mask Men Cards for any individual player listed below and receive a Masked Men Game-Used Memorabilia card numbered to ten of the player you have redeemed.

  • Cam Ward
  • Carey Price
  • Corey Crawford
  • Dwayne Roloson
  • Henrik Lundqvist
  • Ilya Bryzgalov
  • James Reimer
  • Jaroslav Halak
  • Jimmy Howard
  • Marc-Andre Fleury
  • Martin Brodeur
  • Michal Neuvirth
  • Miika Kiprusoff
  • Pekka Rinne
  • Rick DiPietro
  • Roberto Luongo
  • Ryan Miller
  • Semyon Varlamov
  • Sergei Bobrovsky
  • Tim Thomas

Redemption Program 2: Send in any 17 Emerald Mask Men Cards and receive a random Masked Men Game-Used Memorabilia card numbered to twenty from the players listed below.

  • Alex Auld
  • Andrew Raycroft
  • Antero Nittymaki
  • Antti Niemi
  • Brent Johnson
  • Brian Boucher
  • Brian Elliott
  • Chris Mason
  • Cory Schneider
  • Craig Anderson
  • Curtis McElhinney
  • Dan Ellis
  • Devan Dubnyk
  • Jason LaBarbera
  • Jean-Sebastian Giguere
  • Johan Hedberg
  • Jonas Enroth
  • Jonas Hiller
  • Jonathan Bernier
  • Jonathan Quick
  • Kari Lehtonen
  • Marty Turco
  • Mathieu Garon
  • Niklas Backstrom
  • Ondrej Pavelec
  • Pascal Leclaire
  • Patrick Lalime
  • Peter Budaj
  • Tomas Vokoun
  • Tukka Rask

What I want to know, is how did ITG determine who was going to be a part of which list? I don't think it's right that 20 of the cards are numbered to 10, while the other 30 are numbered to 20.

For me, as a Jimmy Howard collector, I'm glad he is part of the first group where you at least know what you're getting after somehow managing to acquire 17 of these things. I'd be angry if I was a player collector of someone in the second group, as you could go through the effort of getting 17 of them, and end up with someone else.

I thought about trying to get 17 Howard's, but at around $5 a piece, that would put me out of my current card budget, even if it would give me a nice memorabilia card limited to just ten copies. That said, I plan on keeping my "1/1" as a reminded of this screw up from ITG.

Also, assuming all ten of the Howard cards are redeemed and 170 of the 340 Emerald versions are returned to ITG, that makes the one I have twice as hard to come by, which is kind of neat if you ask me.

So, what do you guys think about this redemption program?

1 comment:

  1. Nobody cares about this redemption program. For one, nobody buys this product. Secondly, they made it too much work and expense to get some crappy card back for their own screwup. ITG is taking lessons from Panini and UD.

    ReplyDelete