Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Captured on Cardboard #7: Owen Nolan

I'm sure you probably know where I'm going with this one and that would in fact be the 1997 NHL All-Star game played in San Jose. This was the 47th All-Star game and ended in a 11-7 win for the Eastern Conference. Interestingly enough, Nolan wasn't the only player to score a hat trick in this one, Mark Recchi also did it and walked away with the MVP.

That said, Nolan still produced the most memorable moment of the game. In front of his home crowd, he found himself in alone on The Dominator, Dominik Hasek, and pointed to the top corner before firing the puck past Hasek. That capped off the hat trick for Nolan.

First, here's a look at the card:


This is another one from 1997-98 Upper Deck with the Game Dated stamp on the front, although even without the stamp and description on the front, it would be pretty difficult to not realize where this photo was taken. So even though this one's a gimme, it works for this series and I wanted to show it off.

Now, here's a look at the video:


There are a few good looks at the point where the photo on the card was taken. The live action one is around the 0:37 mark. After that, there are plenty of replays that provide some different angles of this great moment.

How about that Fox Trax, remember that? I thought it was the coolest thing as a kid watching hockey on TV at home, but now when I watch it I just think it's a bit much, don't you? This video makes me miss the old days of hockey on ESPN (and yes, I know this was on Fox) with guys like John Davidson.

3 comments:

  1. I have this and love it, it captures a great moment in All-Star Game history. I can remember Nolan score this goal live on Fox as a kid, it was something we talked about for days after in middle school.

    I also remember the Fox Trax, at the time I also thought it was pretty cool; glad that it didn't stick around. Speaking of hockey on Fox, do you remember those Fox hockey robots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, those robots were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great Owen Nolan card, and the best All-Star Game moment I've ever seen. I remember that Hasek was stoning all of Nolan's chances for a hat-trick up to that point; the votes for MVP must have been cast before he finally scored it.

    He's a long-shot to make the Canucks, but he did score an assist in one of their split-squad games last night.

    ReplyDelete