Thursday, September 29, 2011

MVP Stanley Cup Edition Update

A majority of the trade I worked out with Brett focused on my MVP Stanley Cup Edition master set project. I was able to pick up a few of the regular inserts as well as a couple of nicer cards. All together, with the Scripts included, I added 15 cards to the set.

I think I've mentioned this before, but rather than creating a separate label for the rest of the inserts, I'm just lumping them all together under one label. Here's a look at what I got:

The first of the regular inserts is this Teemu Selanne from the Stanley Cup Talent set. This one brings me to 18 out of 20 in the set. Now I'm just missing Joe Sakic and Eric Lindros. This seems to be the easiest insert set, so hopefully I can finish it soon.


Next were a pair from the Golden Memories insert set, Eric Lindros and Mike Modano. These two bring me to 6 out of 10 for the set. Now I'm only missing Forsberg, Yzerman, Brodeur and Jagr. These are a bit tougher to come by, but definitely not impossible to find. 


I like this set because it focuses on specific playoff performances and the design is fairly nice in my mind. In this case the Lindros focues on his 26 points during the 1997 playoffs and the Modano focuses on Dallas' Stanley Cup run in 1999. 


The last of the regular inserts was this Mark Messier from the Second Season Snipers set. It's the fifth card in the set and brings me to 3 out of 10 total. The other two I currently have are Eric Lindros and John LeClair. 


Now we're getting to the good stuff. This Taylor Pyatt is the first auto I've landed as part of the ProSign set. I really like the design of this set as it's got a nice full color photo and ample area at the bottom for some really nice on-card signatures. 


These next two were the most important as they brings me my first memorabilia cards for the master set. The first was this one featuring Kris Beech of the Calgary Hitmen. Beech was drafted by Washington, but is probably best known for being part of the Jaromir Jagr trade.


The other one features Milan Kraft of the Price Albert Raiders. Kraft was drafted by the Penguins and only appeared in parts of four seasons before heading for the Czech league. 


I really like the design of this set. It's simple and the colors in the background really allow the picture and the stick pieces to stand out. I wish there were more cards like this today, but I guess it's just too much work for the card companies to cut up those composite sticks. 

In addition to those, Michael over at Collecting for Kicks was kind enough to send a couple of inserts my way as well. The first was this Steve Yzerman from the Clutch Performers set.


The second was this Jeff Friesen from the Cup Contenders set. Man, some of the cards in this set are a real pain to scan. Look at how horrible they look. Oh well, they still look great in my binder and that's all that matters, right?


That's it for now. I'm starting to make some decent progress on this set now, but I've still got a long way to go. That's ok though, I've got plenty of time to keep working on it. 

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the quality of those inserts...they weren't taken care of before they got in my collection but hopefully they still are suitable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey no problem, a lot of my stuff is like that just from moving it from binder to binder and box to box over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those Golden Memories inserts, never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete