Saturday, December 31, 2011

Box Break: 2011-12 Score Blaster

What better way is there to close out another year of collecting than with a good old fashioned box break? I happened to have half of a $25 Target gift card left over from Christmas yesterday, so I decided to use it on a $9.99 blaster box of 2011-12 Score, just on the off chance that I pull a Howard base for my PC. Well, that didn't happen, but I did manage to get a few nice ones from the box, more than I expected for sure. 

First, here's a look at the box itself. This is something I want to do for this and any future box breaks, to differentiate from pack breaks. Plus the box top is something that most people don't show with their posted breaks, so it's something else to look at.


I won't bore anyone with scans of all the base, highlights, or glossy parallels. Let's just say I ended up with a nice mix of  the following:

52 Base Cards
10 Glossy Base Cards
2 Season Highlights
3 Playoff Highlights
1 Glossy Playoff Highlight
6 Hot Rookies
1 Making an Entrance
1 Sudden Death
1 NHL Die-Cut

I did end up getting at least two duplicates of base cards that I can remember from just 11 packs, so that's not all that bad I guess. Anyway, here is one of the Hot Rookies I pulled and the rest of the inserts.

Hot Rookies: 
While it's not "The Nuge," this Cody Hodgson was the only name I recognized out of the six Hot Rookies I pulled. I have to say that the design of this set is about on par with last years the more I look at it, but could still use a bit of work for next year. 


Sudden Death:
I really like the idea of the Sudden Death set, but I think the execution was a bit off the mark. I don't know what it is, but there's just something off with this design in my mind. Maybe it would look better as a vertical set. Who knows? Since there isn't a Howard card in it, I'm not all that concerned with it at the moment.


Making an Entrance:
This next insert is also a neat idea and the Lidstrom that I pulled looks great and is a nice addition to my general Red Wings collection. 


NHL Die-Cuts:
As I mentioned earlier I got one of the NHL Die-Cuts and me being a Wings fan, take one guess at who I managed to pull. None other than Sidney Crysby, err I mean Crosby ;)


If only this were the Ovechkin. Oh well, what can you do. If anyone wants this, I'm willing to trade it for pretty much any Jimmy Howard card I don't already have, including base cards. This should be it for me as far as packs/boxes of Score for this year, as now I'll just focus on tracking down the Howard singles I still need for the PC. 

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment