Friday, January 13, 2012

Goaltending Gallimaufry: Mismatched Masks

Gallimaufry [gal-uh-maw-free] A hodgepodge; jumble; confused medley.

Back when I started this project, the first thing I did was sort through all of my three-ring binders and monster boxes of base cards looking for the perfect candidates. Well, I ended up with a stack of about 40 cards, a lot of which I've already shared as part of the project. Without anything else to post for today, I decided to take a look through what's left of the stack and found three cards that have one thing in common: mismatched masks.

I know that's stating the obvious when it comes to this project, but there's something to be said about three random cards for which the only discernible reason they're here is the exact same thing. If you look at all three, the mask is the only piece of equipment that doesn't match, although I guess that could be questionable with the second one.

Anyway, the first one is this Rick Tabaracci from 1997-98 Score. As you can see, he's playing for the Flames in the picture, but the mask from his time in Tampa Bay remains. Other than that, he's got matching glove and blocker, and I'm guessing the all black pads were just a carry over, but I can't find any pictures to confirm that. 

 

The second is this Mike Dunham from 2006-07 OPC. As you can tell from the mask in the picture, Dunham played in Atlanta before signing with New York in September of 2006. The only other minor mismatch would be his glove, as the rest could go with either Atlanta's or New York's color schemes.


The third, and most blatantly obvious of the three, is this Robert Esche from 1999-00 Upper Deck. I really like this one because it's got a close up of the mask, yet you can still clearly see the Phoenix uniform and know that something isn't right. That's because he's wearing a Plymouth Whalers mask from his days in the OHL. Here's a little something fun: my high school graduation was held in the same ice arena (Compuware) where the Plymouth Whalers play. Kind of cool that I shared the same venue as this mask for a day.


That's it for now. I've got one more of these posts lined up with a few more cards from the original stack I have left, so look for that in the coming days. Until then, I'm just glad it's the weekend and I have another roller hockey game to look forward to on Sunday, plus I get to try out my new Reebok 5K stick and 7K gloves for the first time.

Goaltending Gallimaufry Count: 62

2 comments:

  1. A little while ago at my blog, I "borrowed" your GG theme in an post on Trevor Kidd - the article is right here. Check it out and let me know if you want the cards for your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris, glad you like the "Gallimaufry" posts and you're right those Kidd's are a different twist on things. Thanks for offering, but I know I have these two in one of my monster boxes of commons now that I see them again. I just have to dig through and find them again.

      Delete