Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pack Break: 2006-07 Bee Hive

Since I don't have any mailday posts ready at the moment, I figured I would continue to chip away at the 12 pack breaks posts I need to get to from my Target value box. Today's post is a bit of a change from the previous ones, as it's the first post-lockout era pack I've gotten to. 

It's a pack of 2006-07 Bee Hive as you probably deduced from the title of the post and the wrapper below. This is a name that I never really understood for a hockey card set. Can someone please explain the origins of this name for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

 

First we have this on featuring Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins.The 6'9" defenseman began his career with the Islanders back in 1997-98. He made it to Ottawa through the trade that sent Alexei Yashin to New York. He then signed as a free agent with the Bruins and has been there since.


Then there was this one featuring Saku Koivu of the Montreal Canadiens.Koivu began his career with the Canadiens by playing a full 82 games in 1995-96. After twelve more seasons there, he would move on and sign with the Anaheim Ducks for the 2009-10 season.


Third was this one featuring Rick Nash of the Columbus Blue Jackets. Nash is the face of the Columbus Blue Jackets and has been there ever since he was drafted first overall back in 2002. In nine seasons, Nash has racked up 289 goals and 547 points in 647 games.


Finally, there was this one featuring Brendan Shanahan of the New York Rangers. I will always remember him from his days with the Wings and the three Cup teams he was a part of in 1997, 1998, and 2002. On a side note, did you know he made an appearance in the movie "Me, Myself, and Irene" with Jim Carey?


All in all, not a bad pack player wise. I didn't hit anything other than base cards, which is ok because I don't think I have many cards from this set. I definitely like the simple design these cards have. Nothing too flashy, just the necessities.

2 comments:

  1. Here is my take on Bee Hive. It is a corn syrup which tastes awesome on waffles and pancakes, I know because I used it all the time as a kid.

    Back in the 40's, 50's etc, I believe the St. Lawrence Starch Co. (makers of Bee Hive Corn Syrup), would have these photos available as promotions for people who purchased their corn syrup. Here is a cool link about how people could redeem these photos.

    http://www.beehivehockey.com/history_03obtaining.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beat me to it... it's a classic name for hockey collectors.

    ReplyDelete