Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thoughts: 2012-13 Metal Universe

After reading the latest article post over at My Hockey Card Obsession about Upper Deck's plan for the remainder of the 2012-13 collecting season, there is one set in particular that I am definitely looking forward to: 2012-13 Metal Universe. This will supposedly be part of Upper Deck's Fleer Retro set due out in April. 

Here is a look at one of the initial mock-ups featuring Wayne Gretzky:


I've been hoping that someone would bring this set back from the dead and it looks like that has finally happened. Even though this is a quick mock-up, I love the look of these cards as the are basically the same as the original 1996-97 version.

Here is another one of Jarome Iginla:


Now there are not many details about this out yet, so I'm not even sure if its going to be something along the lines of an insert set or subset, so we'll just have to wait and see. I can't wait to see what they actually come up with. If these two are any indication of the final product, it will be awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I think they look sub-par...so much potential to improve the coolness, but they look like they're sticking a little too close to the 90's original design

    ReplyDelete